Valentines Day is NOT
Author: Catherine Pulsifer
Valentines Day is celebrated on the 14th day of February. And it is customary to give gifts to the one you love. The best definition I know is 1 Corinthians 13, verse 4 - 7: Love is patient and kind. Love is not jealous or boastful or proud or rude. It does not demand its own way. It is not irritable, and it keeps no record of being wronged. It does not rejoice about injustice but rejoices whenever the truth wins out. Love never gives up, never loses faith, is always hopeful, and endures through every circumstance.
But, Valentines Day is not just for lovers. While we celebrate Valentines Day appreciating those we love, we also should take time for ourselves and appreciate where we are in life.
I truly believe if you don't love yourself then how do you love others. I am not talking about a narcissistic behaviour but about being content with yourself and having confidence in your abilities and skills. A narcissistic personality is to the extreme, they are so in love with themselves they do not see beyond themselves. They are the only person who is important and they are very self-centered.
Accepting yourself and being happy and content with yourself is what I am talking about. And when you are able to do this you are able to help others in many different ways.
Should You Celebrate
Not all of us are destined to have that one special person in our lives. Some of us will remain single for all of our lives. Being single does not that you don't love others and it doesn not mean that you don't need love. But if you are single does that mean you should not recognize or celebrate on February 14th? In my opinion, we should all recognize and celebrate this day, as a day of sharing and expressing our love to those around us.
Here are some suggestions of things that you can do on Valentines Day:
1. Look around you and appreciate those who care about you. People who you feel affection and a fondness for. Be thankful they are in your life. We all need to feel love. That is a human need that all of us have. You can express your love by a phone call, by sending valentine poems in an email, or a card, it doesn't have to be a big thing, even something as simple as sending a Valentines Day quote to brighten someone's day can make a difference.
2. Make a list of all the things you like about yourself. Don't be modest; this list is for you, no one else. You could also consider picking one area and setting a goal to improve your skills in one area. A skill that you would like to have, one that would be of interest to you.
3. Treat yourself on Valentines Day. Buy that one thing that you want - it doesn't have to be expensive, but it has to be a treat that you will enjoy. Sometimes we tend to always be buying for other people but rarely stop and buy for ourselves. On this day pick one thing you would like to have and treat yourself.
4. Call your mum or your dad, or that someone who made a difference in your life. Thank them for caring about you. It is amazing the feeling that someone gets when someone makes the time and expresses their appreciation for them. We sometimes take for granted the people that we are closest to and we don't tell them how much they mean to us. Never underestimate the power of expressing appreciation. Make the time and tell them!
5. Enjoy your day. Remember, "what you do today is important because you are exchanging a day of your life for it." We should do this everyday not just on Valentines Day, but it is a good reminder for us to think of this saying.
6. Take 5 minutes and sit quietly and reflect on all the blessings in your life. Remember there are always those who are in a worse situation than you. No matter what your situation, you do have blessings. Don't take for granted the simple things in life that you have. From something as simple as running water to a home to live in. In many parts of the world people do not have these luxuries but we often don't even consider them as a blessing.
8. Don't be hard on yourself. When you hear yourself say, "I should have", or "I am so stupid", change your thought. Change your self-talk to positive self-talk. Would you say those things to your best friend, then, why say them to yourself? When we feed our minds with such thoughts they can soon become our reality. Keep your mind positive, look at mistakes or failures as learning tools not as self defeating tools.
9. Cook or buy your favourite meal for dinner. What a treat that would be. Enjoy!
10. Last but not least, start keeping a journal of your accomplishments. Then when you feel down, or feel that you are not making progress you can review your journal and it will remind you of all the accomplishments you have achieved. It will boast your self-esteem. Remember, it is not large accomplishments that makes success, it is the little things we do every day that over time turn into success.
Not Just Another Day
Each day is not just another day. It is a day to recognize your own being, your own thoughts, thinking, and actions and behavior. Valentine's Day for you is everyday. If you do not celebrate the fact that each day you awake to new horizons, to new challenges, to do well, to appreciate life, no one else will do it for you.
Make each day a day to remember not to regret. Celebrate your own special qualities and the fact that you are a unique individual. So, this thought is not just to recognize and discuss Valentines Day but to recognize you. The point is that if you don't love yourself you will have difficulty loving others. Also, if you don't believe in yourself how can you expect others to believe in your abilities. And, most importantly be yourself. Never try and be someone who you are not. Always be true to yourself.
Happy Valentines Day to You!
Inspirational Quotes for Reflection:
"There has never been another you. With no effort on your part you were born to be something very special and set apart. What you are going to do in appreciation of that gift is a decision only you can make." Dan Zadra
"Appreciation for what is and what you have will bring you to a greater understanding of your life and your purpose here. Nurturing this attitude of gratitude is essential in spiritual growth!" Tiffany Hurd
"Loving yourself is a daily quest, being grateful and admiring deeply what you are." Frank Arrigazzi
"We should be happy and grateful for all that we have, even if it's only a little." Edward Dunedin
"The hustle and bustle of everyday life so often seems to get in our way. But, no matter the time, place or situation, one thing is clear - I appreciate and love you! Happy Valentine's Day!" "Simple blessings are all around us. Once we receive them with thanksgiving and appreciation, we experience true joy." Krystal Kuehn
"A positive person expects happiness and success and is able to overcome difficulties and challenges because he believes that he can." Christopher Michaels
"Never regret. If it's good, it's wonderful. If it's bad, it's experience." Victoria Holt
"The small courtesies which we often omit because we believe that they are of no value will some day seem larger to us than the wealth and the fame for which we struggle so hard. Take time to show love to your family." Billy Graham
Read more Inspirational Thoughts
Words of Wisdom | Thought For The Day | Short Stories | Words of Encouragement | Quotes by Topic |
Contact Us | About Us | Disclaimer | Disclosure |