Wings for Work, why write about itAuthor: Catherine Pulsifer
Why would anyone write a book about work? For many years I worked for a large corporation. I worked with thousands of people - some successful and some not.
I started watching the successful ones and the not so successful ones. There were definitely different qualities among these people that contributed to their success. I also started reading biographies of successful people and found similar qualities. I was fascinated with the differences and similarities. I started documenting the qualities that I had seen and had read about.
A FrustrationOne of my biggest frustrations was watching people not succeeding. As a leader I had a passion to see people grow and develop. I constantly was looking for ways to help people.
The other frustration was listening to people complain about not getting ahead yet they didn't take any steps to help themselves and their career.
We spend more time at work than we do with our families. Many people do not enjoy their work or are frustrated by their work. So, in an effort to help people I decided to put what I had learned on paper. I found three key qualities that successful people had.
Five QualitiesIn this article I am going to focus on five qualities that I saw in unsuccessful people - there attitudes about education, about showing up every day; not realizing the importance of their job; about seniority; and they had no passion for what they were doing.
1. While education is important, it is not one of the three qualities. You can have all the knowledge in the world but if you don't know how to apply it, or if you have difficulty working with people, you will not be successful. You can have all the textbook theory in the world but if you cannot translate it into how to make things better it is worth no more than the book it is written in. To quote M.K. Soni, "Education is much more than mere literacy. It is just not getting a degree or getting a living. True value of education lies in the manifestation of the values that enrich our lives."
2. You can show up for work every day…but showing up does not mean success in your work. How often I heard people say I haven't missed a day of work in years. Just showing up means nothing, it is what you do when you show up that will determine your success. To quote Elbert Hubbard, "The best preparation for good work tomorrow is to do good work today " If you do not do the best today you will never get ahead even if you show up everyday!
3. You can work for the same company for years and still be bypassed for promotions. Nor, does years of service equal success in your work. So many people think because they have worked for a company for a number of years that gives them the right to be promoted. Some people mentally quit their job years ago, but their body still goes to work every day. These types of people are quite willing to let others do their work for them. They are not solution oriented, their attitude is one that the company owes them.
4. If you look at your job as not really being important then you yourself do not perform to your best ability. Many people I worked with only saw the importance in other jobs not in their own. To quote Dale Carnegie: "If you believe in what you are doing, then let nothing hold you up in your work. Much of the best work of the world has been done against seeming impossibilities. The thing is to get the work done."
5. People with no passion for what they are doing, never succeed. But they didn't take any action to change what they were doing. To quote from the thought, Do You Dare by Byron Pulsifer, "To find an absolute passion in your life is to look beyond what you do for a living, or have as a hobby. It is to look at who your are, what you stand for, and what makes you want to jump out of bed early on a Saturday morning even though you have no need to rise early."
Wings for Work is a short book, and one that can be read in less than an hour. But, hopefully this is a book that will assist you in your success by giving you the three key qualities.
Read more Inspirational Thoughts
Words of Wisdom | Thought For The Day | Inspirational Stories | Words of Encouragement | Quotes by Topic |
Contact Us | About Us | Disclaimer | Disclosure |