Happy ThingsAuthor: Catherine Pulsifer, ©2017
So, what are happy things in your life? Or, maybe the question and answer should give you things to be happy about? Let's face it, happy things in your life or creating happy things that you can enjoy without spending huge amounts of money are more than available to you.
The Decision To Do Happy ThingsIt doesn't take money nor an expensive house nor a lifestyle of luxury to create happiness. What it takes, instead, is the decision to move one's consciousness to a new level. How do I do this, you might ask? Check the list below and decide how many are happiness ideas you can adopt today.
Nine Happy Things Available To You Right Now1. If you are feeling draggy or got the three o'clock blues, one of the easiest things to do to revitalize yourself is to increase your activity level. Activity increases your energy not the opposite. Get the blood flowing through your body by standing up, going for a short brisk walk even if it is around the office environment. If there are stairs where you work and you can still freely climb, take that sluggish body for a quick walk up and down the steps.
2. Another happy thing that you can easily do especially during a lunch break is to take a walk outside. Some research suggests that light stimulates brain chemicals and this can improve your overall mood for the rest of the day. If you can, try getting some sunlight first thing in the morning before you go off to work.
3. For those of you have access to a computer either at home or at your place of work send a friendly or warm email to a friend that can put a smile on their face. The extension of giving not only benefits them but will heighten your warmth inwardly knowing that you made someone else's day just a little better. The act of friendship and kindness will additionally help you meet those customer demands if you are in a customer service role.
4. One of the best and easiest ways to increase your happiness level is to eliminate a nagging task, project or assignment. Once you dedicate specific time and energy to completing something that has been on your mind, you'll be relieved of feelings of anxiousness. If it something else that you have been putting off where procrastination has kept you from really enjoying all other things in life, take care of it right now. Maybe it's an appointment for a dentist that you have been delaying hoping that it would go away but hasn't. No matter what has been nagging you, especially if it is something that you can take control of, then get it done. You will feel a real sense of relief when it is finally done and over with.
5. Sometimes, without knowing it, we can create a lot of chaos in our life that robs us of personal serenity and calmness. One way to reduce this chaos in life is to create a more serene environment. Oftentimes, this means getting rid of clutter in your home environment which might entail throwing out or reducing all those little things that present distraction to the mind thereby causing silent turmoil. A large stack of little tasks that can be easily taken care of often can make you feel overwhelmed unless you take a few minutes every day out of your home schedule to rectify these.
6. To create a state of happiness takes no longer than to engage in doing a good deed or to offer help and assistance to someone who is less fortunate. There are ample opportunities to assist others. Take a minute to pass along useful information, or deliver some gratifying praise or words of encouragement.
7. Have you ever thought that you could be a lifesaver? Well, you can. You can contribute to the saving of a life by becoming a life giving blood donor. This unselfish act of love for others can make you feel worthy in that you have given freely of a necessity of life that is so much often in demand.
8. Act like you are happy, smile like you mean it, and greet people with warmth even if you do not feel in the mood. The act of being happy will often transform your mood without you even realizing it. A smile given, even if it is hard to do in your present mood, will get a smile in return. Interestingly, research has shown that even an artificially induced smile will lift your mood. The fact that you offer a warm smile to someone else shows other people that you are approachable, friendly and receptive.
9. Do you feel like you are caught in the same old rut day in and day out. Well, here's a remedy that can do wonders for attitude and confidence. Take an evening course that is of interest to you. You don't have to take a course for a university credit; just take the opportunity to learn something new that you weren't aware of before, or, assign yourself the learning task of exploring a new and different horizon with the thousands upon thousands of subjects you can easily find on the Internet. Or, try the now age old habit of visiting a bookstore and browse through the multitude of subjects until you find one that sparks your interest. Continuous learning not only broadens your information horizons but keeps those brain cells active and not stagnant.
Your ChoiceAre you the happiest when other people choose what you should be and do? If you choose to play it safe through life, you already have made a decision what your life will look like.
An ExampleFor example, I have a friend who has worked at the same job for over twenty years, a job he thoroughly hates. All he wishes for is that the weekend will come much sooner, and where a Sunday evening is spent fretting that his weekend is rapidly coming to a close and the dreaded Monday morning is coming much too soon.
"We all need to decide whether to 'play it safe' in life and worry about the downside, or instead take a chance, by being who we really are and living the life our heart desires. Which choice are you making? " Charlie Badenhop
In his case, it isn't that he couldn't do more or be more, or even that he hasn't thought very carefully about entering a new job, or starting a business of his own. The real issue is that he is totally risk adverse to the extreme. It seems that he would rather be hounded constantly about how much he detests his job rather than take the first steps, or even one step to change towards something that he would rather do. So, he has made a choice - a choice that sees him bound to a life he hates, a life that is unfulfilling, a life that erodes his inner soul to the point where he feels constantly stressed. And, to make matters worse, he knows that his job could be gone in a heartbeat given that the company he works for is pursuing down sizing right now.
But, he sticks to the devil he knows believing it safer than facing what he doesn't know even though it makes him absolutely miserable.
What Choice Will You Make To Create Happy ThingsAre you facing a similar situation, a comfortable situation? Or, are you prepared to make choices that free you to do what you love, or, at the least, enjoy and do not hate?
We all make choices everyday of our lives. Some of these choices are more natural than others, some choices we do without thinking much about, and some choices are a bit more challenging. But, whether or not you agree, we make choices daily. So, is it hard to make choices that may change our lives for the better - to make choices that would move us further towards inner satisfaction?
Choices - we all make them, so what choices would you make - or, more to the point, what choices will you make?
Inspirational Quotes for Reflection:"The way to make it in life is to know that you will learn something from failure, and that you have the power to choose whatever you want to do with your newly-found knowledge." Sean Clive
"There is a choice you have to make in everything you do. So keep in mind that in the end, the choice you make makes you." John Wooden
"We each have a distinct path and purpose in life, a destiny as unique as our own fingerprints or DNA structure, yet we often life lives of petty obscurity and quiet desperation, ignoring our truth and our path, choosing to blame others instead of taking responsibility for our own choices." Seth David Chernoff
"At any given moment the choice to be happy is present - we just have to choose to be happy." Steve Maraboli, Life, the Truth, and Being Free
"We can try to avoid making choices by doing nothing, but even that is a decision." Gary Collins
Read more Inspirational Thoughts Page 3