You Can Certainly Help
Catherine Pulsifer, ©2011
Have you ever wanted to help those who less fortunate but did not know what to do? Well, some people want to assist but cannot decide which organization to give to or to lend their assistance; when deciding you should look at your skills and the things that you enjoy doing. Use your talents to bless others.
Some people also think that the only way to help is to give money. But, money is sometimes not the answer. In some cases giving of our time is more valuable than money. You can have lots of money but if you have no people to help than the money ends up going to the hiring of people and not to the people who need it. Giving of your time is also a big need and sometimes time is what is needed not money. For example, a senior who is by themselves and just need friendship. No amount of money can buy friendship.
Yes there are a lot of organizations that need your help. And, you may have one of two attitudes:
1. There are just to many places to help, you can get overwhelmed by the number of people who need help. But to quote Dr. Loretta Scott, “We can’t help everyone, but everyone can help someone.” Wise words ; you just have to pick one organization and help them.
2. Someone else will help. If we all thought that way no help would be given to anyone. We are all busy, we all have many demands on our time. We all can spare an hour. How many hours do we waste in a run of a month? If you just took one of those wasted hours and gave it to help others you would be making a positive difference in the lives of others.
One way is to check your local newspaper for organizations that are looking for volunteers. You should be able to find a large number of organizations and you should also be able to find almost any type of need from cancer to abused children to seniors to food banks. These types of organizations can only survive and carry on their dedicated service with the assistance of caring volunteers.
Local churches are always supporting and involved in causes. If you do not belong to a church then find one that supports your beliefs and one that you feel comfortable with. You will find many different ways to help others by being involved in the church. And, you will also help yourself by opening your heart to God and the support of a church family.
And, within each of these organizations is the need for funds – the need keeps growing. Funding can come in many different ways, but again these organizations need people to help with fundraising efforts.
One way you can help any chosen organization is to either devise a fundraiser, or to volunteer to help if they already have a fundraising strategy.
There are numerous fundraising opportunities including the old involved of conducting a bake sale or putting a cookbook together and selling it. But, there are a lot more to consider.
For example, here are a few fundraising suggestions:
-Go to as many yard sales as possible in search of used books. You can often acquire a wide variety of books for a very low price – then you can sell them as part of a fundraiser for more than you paid. Also, if you tell people you know to spread the word that you are looking for used books for the purpose of a fundraiser, you may be surprised at how many you are offered. Social media is a great resource to spread the word of the need and then spread the word of your sale.
-If you are a crafter, you could make several items or products to contribute to a fundraiser. And, if other crafters know you, you may also ask them if they would be willing to contribute one or more of their craft to help raise money for a worthy cause.
– Many businesses are usually always willing to help support causes. For example, giving coupons to buy one get one free, or a coupon for a reduced price for their service. The coupons are then sold and the proceeds go directly to the helping organization.
– Selling tickets on a gift basket where local businesses have donated items. This also promotes local businesses and the proceeds help the organization we are helping. Everyone can sell a few tickets and with the efforts of everyone a lot of tickets could be sold. The selling of the tickets could be over a couple of months.
– Bottle drives or car washes are always popular. You need a team of volunteers to help with this. Sometimes the local boy scouts or a local youth group from your church will join efforts with you.
– 50/50 raffle. These are always a popular event. And lots of money can be raised with this.
– sell items made by the group you are supporting. For example,if a food bank – fill jars with all the items needed for making chocolate chip cookies and sell them. Or for a seniors group or a disabled group make ornaments or a craft that could be sold. Sometimes people will give more if they receive an item in return.
There are many more ideas that you may wish to implement but the main thing is that you offer your services. Not only will you help others but you will also benefit through the heart warming thanks you will receive from all those involved. Join a giving community and you will surely find your talents, caring and compassion valued more than you might believe. Your kindness will make a difference in someone’s life.
In life we all face ups and downs, the good times and the bad times. We never know what help we will need. And, when we offer our time, and money we are taking our mind off the issues we face. The world will become a better place if everyone helped another.
Inspirational Quotes for Reflection:
“In helping others, we shall help ourselves, for whatever good we give out completes the circle and comes back to us.” Flora Edwards
“The race of humankind would perish did they cease to aid each other. We cannot exist without mutual help. All therefore that need aid have a right to ask it from their fellow humans; and no one who has the power of granting can refuse it without guilt.” Sir Walter Scott
“As far as service goes, it can take the form of a million things. To do service, you don’t have to be a doctor working in the slums for free, or become a social worker. Your position in life and what you do doesn’t matter as much as how you do what you do.” Elisabeth Kubler-Ross
“He who sees a need and waits to be asked for help is as unkind as if he had refused it.” Dante
“One kernel is felt in a hogshead; one drop of water helps to swell the ocean; a spark of fire helps to give light to the world. None are too small, too feeble, too poor to be of service. Think of this and act.” Hannah More
“In some loving acts of kindness as they show how much they care – in the lives of folk around me I find God reflected there.” Cyrus E. Albertson
“Simply give others a bit of yourself; a thoughtful act, a helpful idea, a word of appreciation, a lift over a rough spot, a sense of understanding, a timely suggestion. You take something out of your mind, garnished in kindness out of your heart, and put it into the other person’s mind and heart.” Charles H. Burr
Read more Inspirational Thoughts
Words of Wisdom | Thought For The Day | Inspirational Stories | Words of Encouragement | Quotes by Topic |
Contact Us | About Us | Disclaimer | Disclosure |