25 Enlightenment Quotes
Take a look through our collection of enlightenment quotes written by wise men and women to help you seek true enlightenment. Only real enlightenment can be found when we fully understand and accept ourselves for who we are, knowing all of our strengths and all of our flaws. To gain enlightenment we must be happy in the state in which we exist and understand the nature to which things exist and must always show compassion. In this life we must seek our own path and make our own decisions; as the old motto for enlightenment goes “have the courage to use your own understanding”.
- The ultimate goal is to know oneself fully as well as one’s place in the world. This is the Ultimate Enlightenment.
Jason Chin, Long-form Improvisation & the Art of Zen
- To achieve enlightenment, one has to accept disgrace and misfortune willingly.
Lewis Schipper, Introduction to Philosophy and Applied Psychology
- The angel looked at the young man and said you are already rewarded with enlightenment, because of your open, joyful, honest and simple spirit.
Pejman Aghasi, Get To Know
- Before enlightenment, a mountain is a mountain. During enlightenment, a mountain is not a mountain. After enlightenment, a mountain is a mountain again.
Jed McKenna,Spiritual Enlightenment
- Talking about enlightenment is also like that. It’s like your eyes trying to see your eyes.
Sungsan Tae Sŏnsa, Seung Sahn, Wanting Enlightenment is a Big Mistake
- Enlightenment is found when I am present to my experience and to God.
Adele Ahlberg Calhoun, Doug Calhoun, Clare Loughrige, Scott Loughrige, Spiritual Rhythms for the Enneagram
- Without doing any harmful act, Abundantly perform beneficial acts. Completely tame your mind. That is the Buddha’s teaching.
Matthieu Ricard, On the Path to Enlightenment
- So love all and serve all selflessly and impartially, and I promise you, you will be on your way to enlightenment in the quickest and most proper way.
Pejman Aghas, Get To Know Yourself
- Below all mental symbols, noise and manipulations, there lies only one thing: Awareness. And the Awareness that looks out your eyes, is the same Awareness that looks out your neighbors.
Wayne Wir’s, Fading Toward Enlightenment
- Enlightenment is found within the mind, not outside it in various worldly phenomena. It is found in wisdom, not ignorance, in virtue and purity, not evil and pollution.
William Bodri, Socrates and the Enlightenment Path
- But understand that the true basis for awakening to the state of enlightenment is found within ourselves.
The Dzogchen Primer
- Dōgen states that the eternal Buddha-mind or enlightenment is found in everything from tiles to oceans to mountains to stones.
David Edward Shaner, The Bodymind Experience in Japanese Buddhism
- The attainment of enlightenment is therefore the real meaning of human life.
Geshe Kelsang Gyatso, How to Understand the Mind
- More compassion for all living beings — universal compassion — and we develop this compassion only by relying upon all living beings as the objects of our compassion.
Geshe Kelsang Gyatso, Modern Buddhism
- An enlightened Buddha is a person who has woken from the sleep of ignorance, and whose function is to bestow peace of mind on each and every living being.
Geshe Kelsang Gyatso, Profound Teachings from Buddha’s Heart
- If we dispense with finite enlightenment, we cannot conceive of true enlightenment.
Timothy Richard, The Awakening of Faith of Ashvagosha
- Enlightenment is not the experience of the void. There is no void, only the fullness of awareness appearing as a void.
James Swartz, How to Attain Enlightenment
- I will gain more understanding when I realize… there is no light more brilliant than the light I am.
Iyanla Vanzant, Until Today!
- We are within nature, just as nature is within us. We are it and it is us.
Lama Surya Das, Make Me One with Everything
- We should make sure we understand our behavior. We put ourselves on so many different trips and into so many life situations with no understanding of what direction is really worth going in, thus wasting enormous amounts of time.
Lama Yeshe, The Enlightened Experience
- Waiting for enlightenment will not bring about enlightenment.
Khandro, Khandro Rinpoche, This Precious Life
- Likewise, the quest for perfect enlightenment only makes sense because buddha nature is already present in every being. Without that nature, all efforts would be futile.
Matthieu Ricard, On the Path to Enlightenment
- In essence, enlightenment is a way of seeing—that is, of experiencing and relating—to which we had previously been unaccustomed.
Robert Wolfe, Living Nonduality
- Only when you neither dwell on anything nor make an understanding of non-dwelling can this finally be called the enlightenment of Buddhas.
Thomas Cleary, The Ecstasy of Enlightenment
- The only difference between saints and sages is the degree or depth of their awakening.
William Bodri, Socrates and the Enlightenmente Path
More Quotes to Inspire