35 History Quotes
Isn’t History fascinating? We owe our modern lives (good and bad) to those who lived before us. Everyone from the Ancient Greek founders of democracy to the Founding Fathers of the USA, to Winston Churchill’s refusal to make peace with the Nazis – they affect our lives even now. The device you are reading this blog post on – only came about because of the second world war.Did you know that? Modern computers were invented to help the Allies break the German Enigma codes; without the second world war, there may have been no funding or desperate need to discover that machines can handle calculations at lightning speeds.
Look around you. Every single item in your sightline that’s man-made was envisioned, designed, costed, and manufactured by ‘someone’. This process only began in earnest after the industrial revolution. Before that, we were artisans – making everything ourselves, or trading something our neighbor had made in exchange for something we could give them.
Modern economics, science, medicine, warfare, computer games, and even GPS satellites are all due to inventors (and their investors and sponsors) having a vision and creating something new.
So be inspired by these Quotes about History and know that we all stand on the shoulders of giants.
Every time you make a cup of coffee, use a fishhook, ride an elevator, or simply (if you’re lucky enough), enjoy the freedom and personal liberty – you’ve got someone in history to thank for that.
Published by: Ben Gillison
- Those who forget history are doomed to repeat it.
- The only duty we owe to history is to rewrite it.
- We don’t form history – we are formed by it.
Martain Luther King Jr
- What is history but a fable agreed upon?
- There is history in all men’s lives.
- History is philosophy teaching by example.
Dionysius of Halicarnassus
- History is after all nothing but a pack of tricks which we play upon the dead.
Quotes to Live by
- History is the study of other people’s mistakes.
- The knowledge of what has gone before affords the best instruction for the direction and guidance of human life.
- Tradition is a guide and not a jailer.
W. Somerset Maugham
- What has once happened, will invariably happen again, when the same circumstances which combined to produce it shall again combine in the same way.
- We learn from history that we learn nothing from history.
George Burnard Shaw
- History repeats itself. Historians repeat each other.
Great Quotes About Life
- We owe respect to the living; to the dead we owe only truth.
- Even the gods cannot change history.
Agathon, in Aristotle
- The historian is a prophet in reverse.
Friedrich Von Schlegel
- Truth is the only merit that gives dignity and worth to history.
John E. E. Dalberg
- To form an opinion of human nature from a perusal of history, is like judging of a fine city by its sewers and cess-pools
- To study history is to study literature.
- History is past politics, and politics is present history.
E. A. Freeman
- You must make your own history in able to truly see how the connections can be made, but your history must be made on your own.
Mia Tanaka, The Other Place
- History is the transformation of tumultuous conquerors into silent footnotes.
- The history of the world is but the biography of great men.
One Line Quotes On Life
- History is a vast early warning system.
- History is a better guide than good intentions.
Jeane J. Kirkpatrick
- History is a nightmare from which I am trying to awake.
- History shows that there are no invincible armies.
- To know one’s origins is to know one’s present and to be able to create one’s future.
William Henry Schubert
- Man is a history-making creature who can neither repeat his past nor leave it behind.
W. H. Auden
- Truth is a torch that gleams through the fog without dispelling it.
Claude Adrien Helvétius
- History is littered with the wars which everybody knew would never happen.
- History is the propaganda of the victors.
- As soon as tradition has come to be recognized as tradition, it is dead.
- Only through history does a nation become completely conscious of itself. Accordingly, history is to be regarded as the national conscience of the human race.
- History is only a confused heap of facts.
More Quotes to Inspire