Abraham Lincoln Quotes 66 to 87
Published by: Catherine Pulsifer
- No man has a good enough memory to be a successful liar.
- All my life I have tried to pluck a thistle and plant a flower wherever the flower would grow in thought and mind.
- Be sure you put your feet in the right place, then stand firm.
- Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be.
- Books serve to show a man that those original thoughts of his aren’t very new at all.
- Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.
- If you once forfeit the confidence of your fellow citizens, you can never regain their respect and esteem. It is true that you may fool all of the people some of the time; you can even fool some of the people all of the time; but you can’t fool all of the people all of the time.
- And in the end it’s not the years in your life that count. It’s the life in your years.
- There can be glory in failure and despair in success.
- Tact is the ability to describe others as they see themselves.
- Without the assistance of that divine being, I cannot succeed. With that assistance I cannot fail. Trusting in Him, who can go with me, remain with you and be everywhere for good let us confidently hope that all will yet be well.
- I was a little cross.I ask pardon. If I do get up a little temper I have no sufficient time to keep it up.”
- I’m a success today because I had a friend who believed in me and I didn’t have the heart to let him down.
- America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.”
Quotes about Abraham Lincoln
- Lincoln made extraordinary efforts to attain knowledge while working on a farm, splitting rails for fences, and keeping store at New Salem, Illinois. Nikol Vega Canales, Abraham Lincoln Complete Biography and Quotes
- While young Lincoln’s formal education consisted approximately of a year’s worth of classes from several itinerant teachers, he was mostly self-educated and was an avid reader and often sought access to any new books in the village. Nikol Vega Canales, Abraham Lincoln Complete Biography and Quotes
- For a century or more, generations of Americans were taught to be like Lincoln – forbearing, kind, principled, resolute – but what we’ve really wanted is for Lincoln to be like us, and this has never been truer than the present day. Andrew Ferguson, Land of Lincoln: Adventures in Abe’s America
- Only after years of studying the powerful crosscurrents of political and military pressures on Lincoln did I come to appreciate the skill with which he steered between the numerous shoals of conservatism and radicalism, free states and slave states, abolitionists, Republicans, Democrats, and border-state Unionists to maintain a steady course that brought the nation to victory – and the abolition of slavery – in the end. James M. McPherson, Abraham Lincoln
- From his earliest days Lincoln had a sense that his destiny was controlled by some larger force, some Higher Power. David Herbert Donald, Lincoln
- As Abraham became a teenager, he began to distance himself from his father. His sense of alienation may have originated at the time of his mother’s death, when he needed more support and compassion than his stolid father was able to give. David Herbert Donald, Lincoln
- The greatness of Napoleon, Caesar or Washington is only moonlight by the sun of Lincoln. His example is universal and will last thousands of years. . . . He was bigger than his country – bigger than all the Presidents together . . . and as a great character he will live as long as the world lives. Leo Tolstoy, The World
- That Lincoln, after winning the presidency, made the unprecedented decision to incorporate his eminent rivals into his political family, the cabinet, was evidence of a profound self-confidence and a first indication of what would prove to others a most unexpected greatness. Doris Kearns Goodwin, Team of Rivals: The Political Genius of Abraham Lincoln
Abraham Lincoln Quotes 1 to 30 | Abraham Lincoln Quotes 31 to 65 |
More Famous Quotes