113 Words of Encouragement
We all need words of encouragement. Here you will find words that offer inspiration and comfort. Words that will give you confidence and optimism. Let them be ones that give you thoughts of support and reassurance. Share them with others who could use some encouraging words!
Words by famous people are great to share with others if they are going through hard times. We all need uplifting, encouraging words to help us cope with challenges.
Click the links below to skip to:
- You have the power within you to do whatever you choose. You have the power within you to be and achieve anything. Tony Newton, Napoleon Hill, The Law of Attraction book series
- Thoughts and feelings tend to become less bothersome and go away on their own once we start giving them less attention. Giulia Suro Learning to Thrive
Positive Life Quotes
- We want to add beliefs that build us up, encourage us and support us. We want beliefs that are ‘the wind beneath our wings’, causing us to soar and to be all we can be.
Barbara Lucas, Put Hand to Plow
Words of Encouragement for Kids
- Much of the difference you make tomorrow will start with what you do today. Ernie J Zelinski
Make A Difference
Encouragement for your day, today!
- Happiness is your responsibility. If you depend or wait for other people to make you happy you will always be disappointed. Byron Pulsifer, Responsibility for Happiness
- It never gets better, you just get better at it. Peter Dunne, The 50 Things
Words of Encouragment for Men
- I have been a reader of biographies for many years, and I have yet to find a successful person whose life was free from problems and difficulties. Warren W. Wiersbe, The Bumps Are What You Climb On
- Everyone has a story. Put another way, everyone’s life is a story. Dan B. Allender, To Be Told
Poems about Life
- Choose well your words. They will go marching down the years in the lives you touch. Wilfred Peterson
Words of encouragement to remind us to think before we speak.
- Being motivated is more than simply doing the things we have to do. It’s also about identifying and cutting out the things we should stop. Andrew Alexander, Deconstructing Motivation
- We all have the ability to replace a negative thought with a positive one. You must be aware of what you are thinking about! Yvonne Haughton, Good Night Insomnia
- Encourage continued communication sometimes all it takes is a nod of your head or a brief word, or listening sounds.Clive Harman, How to Communicate Effectively
- We can become quiet and by doing so the door to Silence opens.Robert Sardello, Silence
- Don’t work 70 hours a week just to get paid. Spend time up front determining your purpose. Andrew Tye, 33 Professional Development Tips
- Comfort comes of knowing you’ve done the right thing, no matter what people think. Richard Daly, Godï¿½s Little Book of Comfort
Motivational Quotes for Students
- There is always a simple, down-to-earth word that says the same thing as the showoff fad word or vague abstraction. Kenneth Roman; Joel Raphaelson, Writing That Works
- So, before you even get out of bed, give silent thanks for another day on this earth. Sumit Gautam, Ways to start your day positively
- Whenever you find yourself doubting how far you can go,
just remember how far you have come.
- . . . choose to confide in friends with sunny dispositions who will encourage you to be more positive. Zayne Parker, Anxiety: Mastery
- Helping others, encouraging others, are often acts of kindness that have more meaning than you may realize. Catherine Pulsifer
- . . . keep your mind open to opportunities. The means of achieving your desire may not come as you have imagined them to be. Justin Albert, Positive Thinking
- You and I need to be the decision makers in our own lives and careers. It is also our responsibility to allow and encourage others to do the same. Jay Rifenbary, No Excuse!
- Imagine if every young child will be helped to discover their interest at a young age and encouraged to pursue it, how different our world will be. Sunday Adelaja, Money, Riches, Wealth
- There are gonna be some days, where you don’t know if you can take another step. There are gonna be some days where you don’t know where the next step is taking you to. The first step is you gotta stand up!Chris Gardener
Keep Going Quotes
- “Don’t make a habit out of choosing what feels good over what’s actually good for you.” Eric Thomas
Quote of the Day
- Encouragement is like a pebble thrown into water.David Jeremiah, The Joy of Encouragement
Thought of The Day
- When they say the sky’s the limit to me that’s really true. Michael Jackson
- Try to be a rainbow in someone’s cloud. Maya Angelou, Letter to My Daughter
Maya Angelou short phrase is encouraging us to take action to brighten someone’s day!
- Words do inspire. Barack Obama
- Just like taking a nice warm shower cleanses our bodies, we need to detoxify and cleanse our minds as often and as consistently as we can. Dane Krauss, The Meditation Guidebook For Beginners
- Control what you can control. That’s the trick. Anthony Robbins, Tony Robbins, Peter Mallouk, Unshakeable
- We are fighting for our health, we are fighting to protect our families. Some of us are fighting to protect our livelihoods and businesses. Some of us are fighting to protect our dreams. What are you fighting for? Chris Gardener
- Winning is coming in fourth, exhausted and encouraged – because last time you came in fifth. Denis Waitley
- … if we deliberately seek encouragement (motivation) on a daily basis, it will become a habit and enable us to get ahead and stay ahead in life.Zig Ziglar, Over the Top
- Either write something worth reading, or do something worth reading.Benjamin Franklin
Short Graduation Quotes
Have confidence in your abilities! Applies not only for graduates but for each one of us.
- You are heaven’s Halley’s comet; we have one shot at seeing you shine. Max Lucado
- You have a greater potential than anyone who has ever lived before you! But you’ll never “make it” by sitting on your duff and telling the world how great you’re going to be, starting tomorrow. Og Mandino, The Choice
- We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve. Bill Gates
- Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other. Mark Twain
Funny Quotes about Life
Funny words from Mark Twain, but also encouragement that is full of wisdom.
- If you accept the expectations of others, especially negative ones, then you never will change the outcome. Michael Jordan
- But it is better to follow even the shadow of the best than to remain content with the worst. Henry vanDyke
- You could be the world’s best garbage man, the world’s best model; it don’t matter what you do if you’re the best. Muhammad Ali
Best Motivational Quotes
Encouraging you to be the best no matter what your job!
- It is only our daily bread that we are encouraged to ask for. The present is the only time in which any duty can be done or any grace received. C. S. Lewis
- Competitive spirit is still at a premium. The more you win, the better you play, the more money you make, so they all have that in mind. Wayne Gretzky
- You can do no more than you believe you can. You can be no more than you believe you are. Norman Vincent Peale
Believe in Yourself
- Never use a long word where a short one will do. George Orwell
- When things go wrong, don’t go with them. Elvis Presley
Funny but also encouraging!
- A sunny disposition is worth more than fortune. Andrew Carnegie
An encouraging message for the new graduate and for us all to remember.
- There are chords in the hearts of the most reckless which cannot be touched without emotion. Edgar Allan Poe
- The truth of who we are is how we live day to day. If you want to influence others, the most important thing you can do is be a living example of the principles, ideals, and faith that you advocate. Nick Vujicic, Be the Hands and Feet
- Nothing in this world is impossible to a willing heart. Abraham Lincoln
- It is important to surround yourself with people who lift you up, encourage you, share your vision and inspire you.Les Brown
I would add that we should all be an encouraging influence on those around you.
- The good times you savor. The great times you treasure, and the hard times are part of the character of your heart and soul. Dr. Madeline Ann Lewis, Finding Your Best Inside
Life is Hard
- “Change can hurt, be uncomfortable, and be difficult in the beginning. Remember this English Proverb: Just when the caterpillar thought the world was over, it became a butterfly.” Lisa Rusczyk Ed.D., 50 Things to Know About Prayer
Quotes about Change
- The power of God is actually inherent in His Word and it heals, delivers, comforts, saves, corrects, and encourages us.Joyce Meyer, The Everyday Life Bible
- Whatever your individual set of circumstances the ability to work from home gives you the potential to improve your overall work-life balance.Aarron Dann, How to work from home better
Work From Home Quotes
- The beach of life can be anything and everything from tranquil, calm, sunny, peaceful, and magically wonderful to gray, overcast, turbulent, roller-coaster-y, or stormy. Barbara Legan, Trust + Love = Joy
Words of encouragement to remind us we all have ups and downs.
- Rarely is the better life achieved by following the same path.Dean Gualco, Making a Difference
Encouragement to change – we can’t have different results if we keep doing what we have always done!
- No matter the number of times you fail you must be determined to succeed. You must not lose hope. Don’t stop in your storm. Tony Narams, Top Secret: You Can Fly Like An Eagle
- Reminding yourself of the blessings is an excellent way to bring balance into a stressful life that often feels filled with negativity. Kerri Connor, Llewellyn, Ostara
- We need to go from seeing anxiety as an uncontrollable juggernaut of destruction, to an inconvenient, uncomfortable, but ultimately manageable difficulty. John Crawford, Anxiety Relief
- Just remember, there are no quick fixes. But, by taking action just a little bit every day, you will build up a powerful reservoir of confidence, self-esteem, and discipline. Scott Allan, Rejection Reset
- Sometimes when you are in a dark place you think you have been buried, but actually you have been planted. Christine Caine
- Times of sadness, sickness, loss, or deprivation will pass. Mo Gawdat, Solve For Happy
- Your mind is like a magnet – it attracts into your life whatever you think about most. Paul and Tracey McManus, The 7 Great Prayers
Words of encouragement to keep your thoughts positive.
- Soon, when all is well, you’re going to look back on this period of your life and be so glad that you never gave up. Brittany Burgunder
Words of encouragement that we can all relate to. How many times do we look back 6 months later and realize that the failures were stepping stones to moving forward.
- Nothing in life has happened to you. It’s happened for you. Every disappointment. Every wrong. Even every closed door has helped make you into who you are. Joel Osteen
- For any problem, no matter how big or complex it may be, there is a solution. Earl Nightingale
- No matter how tall the mountain is, it cannot block the sun.
- You must not lose faith in humanity. Humanity is like an ocean; if a few drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean does not become dirty. Gandhi
Quotes to Live By
- A moment of weakness doesnï¿½t make you helpless. Cyndie Spiegel, A Year of Positive Thinking
Quotes about Strength and Courage
- Through difficult experiences, life sometimes becomes more meaningful. Dalai Lama
- If you want something in life, you have to just reach out and take it! Lucille Delgado Bridges, The Serpent and the Walking Stick 2
Life is Too Short Quotes
- Just remember to never doubt yourself, we are all capable of amazing things. Rob Cristophe, Bad Habits
- Don’t operate in your emotions! Don’t be discouraged but be of good cheer.Regina Flegler, Morning Blessings
Good Morning Quotes
- Anything is possible, because nothing is absolutely certain.Keith Ferreira, Anything Is Possible
- Encouragement to others is something everyone can give. Joel Osteen
- We mustnï¿½t let social pressures poison our potential.Brendon Burchard, The Motivation Manifesto
Poems About Confidence
- Your dreams can take you much higher and much farther than anyone ever thought possible! Buzz Aldrin, No Dream Is Too High
- Your motivations are your own. You must master them if you want to do great work. Brian Knapp, Creative Pursuit
Motivational Quotes About Life
- “Graduates, you were born to be uncommon. Today I encourage you to leave your mark, I challenge you to shake up the world.” Marilyn Luscombe, President and CEO of NBCC
- What adrenaline is able to chemically and physiologically do for the body, encouragement is able to emotionally and psychologically do for the soul. Mark Chanski, Encouragement
- Winning lifts everyone it touches -it just makes the world a better place. Jack Welch, Winning
- Your destiny is the story of your life, and you get to tell the story your way. Scott Allan, Drive Your Destiny
- Everybody has problems, but everybody also has blessings in life. Robert W. Bly, Count Your Blessings
Help yourself by refocusing your thoughts to count your blessings not your troubles.
- Relentless people move mountains. Relentless people make the impossible, possible. Relentless people achieve miracles. Wayne Allyn Root, The Power of Relentless
- Choosing to act with compassion and love and lifting others up is shining your light. Neviesh Perry, To my Sisters
- Today is the oldest you have been, and the youngest you will ever be. Make the most of it! Nicky Gumbel
- Rediscover your inner child. Jump in a puddle, build a sandcastle, run up a hill, kick up some autumn leaves, throw a snowball.Julia Laflin, 100 Things to Pick You Up When You’re Feeling Down
- Set your goals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you. Author Unknown
- People who fail often work as hard as those who succeed. The major difference is that successful people put their time into activities that give higher pay-back. Robyn Pearce, Getting a Grip on Time Management
- Winning in life is more than outpacing out your opponents; it is maximizing your potential to the fullest of your ability. Dr. Ignatius K Otchere-Asamoah, Destined to Win
- The only way you can find out where people are in the process of determining what feels right is to ask questions and listen carefully to their answers. Sidney C.Walker, How to Double Your Sales by Asking a Few More Questions
- Focus on improving yourself and I guarantee that the quality of people you spend time with will dramatically improve. J. D. David, How to Make Friends
- Wherever you go, go with all your heart. Confucius
- Sometimes life makes you feel as if you’re drowning. But you must Muster your strength, grab the oars And Row. Shauna L Bowling, Hearts and Rainbows
- You can begin again anytime you want and forge a new life path. You can take the wheel and change the course of your life. Robyn L. Gobin, The self-care prescription
- Don’t be afraid, for I am with you. Don’t be discouraged, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you. I will hold you up with my victorious right hand. Isaiah 41:10 (NLT)
- Stop beating yourself up you are a work in progress. Author Unknown
Short Inspirational Quotes
- Strength is in all of usï¿½we just don’t realize it. Robert Rave, Waxed
- The strongest people are not those who show strength in front of us but those who win battles we know nothing about. Author Unknown
Strength and Courage
- I’m grateful for my faith. It carries me through when I see nothing else to help me through a situation. Aliya Saige, 100 Daily Blessings
- You will not always be strong, but you can always be brave.Beau Taplin
- Change your words and you will change your feelings. Replace ï¿½I have to do itï¿½ with ï¿½I want to do itï¿½. Lucy Lane, The Little Book of HappinessMarcus Aurelius
- When something bad happens, you have three choices: You can either let it define you, let it destroy you or let it strengthen you. Author Unknown
- A sense of closeness to Jesus is perhaps the most important benefit to be found through the practice of being still in His Presence and making quiet reflection a priority.Sarah Young, Jesus Calling 50 Devotions for Encouragement
- When you lose everything, you get depressed if you don’t step back and start appreciating what you do have. Paul and Tracey McManus, The 7 Great Prayers
- “We do learn something about ourselves when we are up against the wall, and we do most certainly come out stronger.” Tina Sloan, Changing Shoes
Words of Encouragement for Women
- Whatever our regret, we can learn to use its lessons and its gifts.Hamilton Beazley, No Regrets
- Hold up the mirror and see yourself the way you really are, rather than as we like to think we are.Alister McGrath
- People say that God doesn’t speak directly to us, but I know that if you want to hear what God is saying to you, all you have to do is ask. Jodi Arndt, Little Moments Big God
- We all need hope, to know that despair doesnï¿½t have to be the end of the story, that God doesnï¿½t want it to be the end of our story. Alison Young, Hope Beyond Despair
- All we can control is the moment we are in right now. Yolanda V Acree, Mindful Simplicity
Positive Words of Encouragement
Let these positive words give you encouraging thoughts for your day! Keeping your attitude positive (looking for the good in every situation) can be an encouragement in itself!
Famous Words of Encouragement
Let the thoughts of these famous people be an encouragement to you and to others. Reading about the experiences of others is often encouraging.
Words of Encouragement for Hard Times
We all face hard times. Encouraging words can be an inspiration for us.
Inspirational Words of Encouragement
We can be inspired and encouraged by reading a quote that helps us see a situation in a different light.
Words of Encouragement and Strength
We sometimes need a bit of strength to get through the day or get through a situation. Let these words give you strength.
We hope you have found inspiration from these words of encouragement. Many times positive encouraging words or quotes will encourage us and help keep our focus on the good rather than the bad. Our attitude reflects positivity or negativity, the choice is always ours.
Words can hurt or they can uplift. Are you using encouraging wordsin your thoughts to yourself?Are you using encouraging words when you speak to others? Support othersby choosing encouraging positive words. Be an encourager rather than a critic.
More Quotes to inspire and encourage